At brick-and-mortar schools, students often operate with their own workspace in addition to shared class resources. Having dedicated materials for a child’s individual use is essential for optimal performance. Sharing desks, books, and other items can lead to distractions and clutter. Students in cyber schools need a dedicated workspace to thrive in their academics.
Students at brick-and-mortar schools demonstrate higher performance rates when they have a desk of their own. Similarly, cyber school students exhibit stronger performance when they work from a dedicated workspace. Keep reading to learn more about how a dedicated workspace can positively impact your students’ school performance and enjoyment.
What Is a Dedicated Workspace?
Outside a classroom environment, a dedicated workspace can have many different looks. For cyber school students and students engaging in other types of online learning, having a space just for schoolwork is essential. Knowing they have a workspace reserved just for them can increase students’ motivation.
The main features of a dedicated workspace include:
- Privacy: While a private room or office is the optimal spot for a dedicated workspace, you can create a secure work environment without an extra room. Use room dividers or desk blinders to add a level of separation from normal house functions.
- Functionality: The space should be able to support all the materials the student needs for school. If your student is using a computer, they should have nearby power outlets for charging equipment and a solid desk or surface to work on. The workspace should also be comfortable with ergonomic designs to accommodate your child’s specific needs.
- Organization: A workspace for school should also allow students to keep their schoolwork organized with drawers or folders to separate work for different subjects.
The Importance of a Dedicated Workspace for Learning
A dedicated learning environment is essential for numerous reasons beyond the student’s academic performance. A dedicated workspace can positively impact your student by sharpening their focus during school and increasing their motivation to learn. It can also help balance their school life and their personal life, leading to better work-life balance skills that will benefit them in the future.
Here are a few other reasons learning spaces are important.
Everything for School Is in One Place
When students have a dedicated workspace for their learning, they can know exactly where to find their assignments and school supplies. Having an organized space dedicated to schoolwork allows your child to focus more on their learning.
Reduce Distraction During Work Time
Whether it’s a dedicated office space, a spare bedroom, or a desk in the quietest part of the house, a dedicated workspace reduces distractions, especially for students working at home. Working on the couch near the TV or in the bedroom with their technology and toys within arm’s reach provides more distractions during the day. A space away from all the distractions can improve your child’s focus and lead to stronger performance.
Creating a space for your student to work that’s as quiet and private as possible can help your student achieve optimal results and make their school and home life more organized.
Create a School and Life Separation
The corporate world often talks about work-life balance. Students also need to have a good balance between their schoolwork and their home life. If a child is constantly thinking about or surrounded by their schoolwork, they may find it difficult to “switch off” at home. Keeping school in a dedicated part of the house can help them enjoy better school and life separation.
If your student works in a shared room, having a drawer or folder to put their things away during the weekend can help them switch off. This strategy has the added benefit of ensuring their work is safe from getting mixed up with other household items.
Help Students Practice Time Management
When students have a space for their schoolwork, they can practice better time management to complete their work on time. With a separate space, your child can transition into work mode and spend their time with focused concentration. Additionally, students with a dedicated work area may be more motivated to finish their work so they can go to a different part of the house sooner to play or relax.
3 Tips for Setting Up a Dedicated Workspace
The importance of learning space is clear in the benefits it affords students, but how can you create the optimal environment for learning at home? Countless articles detail the best way to set up a dedicated workspace. Here are the three most essential elements of a functional workspace:
- Find a good location: Students need a space to do their work that’s inviting and free from distractions. Their workspace should have good lighting and enough room to work. While a dedicated office room is best, sometimes a corner in a quiet part of the house can work just as well. A small room divider can separate the space and mark it as a work zone.
- Organize, organize, organize: Students at online schools need space to store their school things to separate them from other household items. Include folders and a box or drawer where your student can put away their school things at the end of each day. This method will help keep their workspace neat, which is especially important if they share it with others.
- Make it welcoming: Help your child decorate their workspace to make it a fun and inviting environment that gets them excited about learning. Add touches of their favorite color while still keeping the space visually simple to avoid distractions. Having plants and other neutral decor can lend warmth to the room without distracting students. A welcoming space can make students more motivated and can increase their excitement for school.
Contact CCA to Learn More
Online students need space to work so they can perform at an optimal level. The importance of their learning space is key to their education’s quality. With an organized and welcoming dedicated workspace, students can perform at their best and increase their learning ability.
At CCA, students receive curricula tailored to their needs and interests. Qualified, passionate teachers create personalized learning plans based on your child’s learning style. Get in touch with us today to learn more about CCA and the education we can provide your child.