Programs for EL Cyber School Students
Commonwealth Charter Academy’s English Language Development Program offers students a first-class curriculum and customized learning opportunities, and it celebrates the cultural diversity of our students.
CCA’s robust program for English learners celebrates cultural diversity while combining a quality education with socialization opportunities through numerous school field trips and events.
As an online school, CCA can provide English language learners with services that extend far beyond traditional English lessons and fully support and integrate English learners into the CCA family.
A childhood education in a cyber school like CCA offers English learners a double benefit: They can learn at their own pace from the comfort of their own home, and they can enjoy socializing with students from across the state. It can be stressful for EL students to navigate learning a new language and new customs while trying to interact with classmates all at the same time. But online ESL courses at our cyber school allow students to progress at their own pace, set a schedule that works for the whole family and build diverse friendships with students across the entire state, not just classmates in a traditional brick-and-mortar school building.
What We Provide for English Language Learners
CCA’s robust English Language Development program celebrates our English learners’ diversity while providing customized learning and socialization to welcome everyone into the CCA family.
- Targeted language development instruction. We provide targeted language development instruction in listening, speaking, reading and writing delivered by PA-certified ESL teachers. CCA’s goal is for our English learners to be successful not just in the classroom but in their communities and for them to be equipped with the skills they need for life after high school.
- Innovative and rigorous educational resources. We provide a variety of educational resources, including National Geographic’s English Language Development curriculum. National Geographic Learning brings the world to the classroom and the classroom to life. Through stories, ideas, photos and videos, the English lessons provide a global experience for our students.
- Socialization opportunities. CCA offers more than 500 field trips a year across the entire state, both educational trips such as visits to museums and cultural centers and purely social events like visits to petting zoos and trampoline parks. With more than two dozen clubs that meet virtually and in person, as well as cultural diversity and other events at our Family Service Centers, EL students have socialization chances at their fingertips every day.
- Interpreters and translation services. At CCA, the family is key to a quality education. Parents or guardians serve as learning coaches to their students, and it’s vital that they receive the support they need to stay current and help their children find success. We provide interpreters and translations for all school-to-home communication.
- Face-to-face family support. We offer in-person support at CCA’s regional Family Service Centers for all our families. CCA operates regional Family Service Centers across the state, and our EL students and their families are encouraged to participate in a wide range of cultural events there. We want to make sure everyone is supported and feels like they are a part of the CCA family.